Lighting accounts for more than 15% of the electricity used in a home, so you’ll see an immediate difference in your energy bill by changing incandescent bulbs to the more energy-efficient compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) or light emitting diodes (LEDs).
The standard incandescent bulb currently your home has changed very little from Thomas Edison's first light bulb in 1879. Only 10 percent of the energy used by these standard bulbs contributes to light; the other 90 percent is wasted as heat.
ENERGY STAR® -qualified CFLs use 75% less energy than an incandescent lighbulb, so they save you money. ENERGY STAR-qualified LED bulbs use 80% less energy than an incandescent lightbulb and last 25,000 hours.
If you’ve never tried a CFL or LED bulb before, you might start by replacing lights that you don’t use directly every day, such as in a fixture you might leave on at night in your house, or in hard-to-reach areas to avoid excess replacements. Not climbing a ladder to replace a lightbulb is a great incentive to try a new technology!
Putting light fixtures on timers eliminates the possibility of leaving lights on when you don’t need them.
Dimmers can reduce the energy used by halogen and incandescent lamps. Consider using dimmers to control light levels in your home, and save money as well.
Most computers today are ENERGY STAR qualified, and will enter a low-power sleep mode when not in use. But 80% of the energy consumed in a system is from the monitor, and that extra energy used in sleep mode can still add up. So even if you don’t plan to turn off the computer, consider turning off the monitor for a little extra savings.
ENERGY STAR is a government-backed program that helps consumers identify products that will save energy and money. There are dozens of SYLVANIA CFL and LED products that carry the ENERGY STAR label.
Register to receive OSRAM SYLVANIA newsletters and communications for the latest news, deals, and product information!
Copyright © 2013, OSRAM SYLVANIA